Friday 30 October 2009

I'm Dreaming of a Grey Christmas...

I know it's still October, and it feels too early to be talking about Christmas, but I had to tell you about the Persephone Secret Santa which Book Psmith is organising. Instead of typing out all the information here, I'm going to put a link to Book Psmith's post instead. Here it is, click here please. There you are, don't say I never give you anything. The general idea is a Persephone Books give-around, which I did with a group of friends earlier in the month too, receiving Hostages to Fortune by Elizabeth Cambridge - one of my favourite Persephones, but one I'd had from the library originally. For Book Psmith's Secret Santa you're *supposed* to send a list of the Persephones you already have... but I realised, discounting the 56 I already have, and all the cookbooks and gardening books and others that I don't particularly want, there are only a handful waiting to appear on my shelves. So I just sent an email about those instead...

I've spent today reading books with titles like Outside Modernism and Challening Modernism, and even Virginia Woolf, the Intellectual & the Public Sphere. So it'll be nice to spend the remainder of my evening curled up with a Richmal Crompton novel.

And, in territory far away from S-i-a-B norm, has anybody else seen the TV show Gavin and Stacey? Comedy or drama or dramedy, it's sometimes 'a bit near the knuckle', but it's also very funny and very, very sweet. My brother lent it to me months ago, and I only got around to watching it yesterday... and now I've seen five episodes. Out of a series of six. Always the way, but I'm sure I'll find something else to get addicted to soon...

6 comments:

  1. My favourite character is Nessa, Stacey's best friend. Did you know that the series was written by the actors that play the two best friends - Nessa & Smithy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simon, as I was emailing my Persephone list (30 titles) to Book Psmith , I spared a thought of you! I love that you actually sent a list instead of the ones you DON'T have. Hee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore Gavin & Stacey and Nessa is my favourite too- especially as actress Ruth Jones did English at Warwick like me. I can't wait for the third and final series, which should be starting fairly soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad that you are better, and enjoying Gavin and Stacey to boot. Each character is a joy. Uncle Bryn is a special facourite though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gavin and Stacey is a hoot! Can't help but see 'Mrs Bennet' sometimes though instead of Gavin's Mum.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have every episode of Gavin and Stacey on DVD - HILARIOUS!! I got into it last year and had to ration my episode watching so that I didn't run out too quickly.

    ReplyDelete

I've now moved to www.stuckinabook.com, and all my old posts are over there too - do come and say hello :)

I probably won't see your comment here, I'm afraid, but all my archive posts can also be found at www.stuckinabook.com.