Sunday 9 November 2008

Challenging

I don't usually go in for reading challenges, because I have enough demand on my reading time as it is and deadlines make me panic, but I loved one I saw on Books Please so much that I had to join in. I rather anticipate that I won't *actually* read the books in 2009, but the fun will be choosing books to fit the categories...

The challenge is What's In A Name (2) - (2) because a successful challenge was run last year with different categories. I'm going to go through my unread-but-owned books and see where I can fit them in...

A book with a “profession” in its title.

  • The Professor - Charlotte Bronte
  • The Calligrapher's Night - Yasmine Ghata
  • The Sailor's Return - David Garnett

  • A book with a “time of day” in its title.

  • Endless Night - Agatha Christie
  • As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning - Laurie Lee
  • A Clear Dawn - Winifred Peck

  • A book with a “relative” in its title.

  • Daddy's Gone A-Hunting - Penelope Mortimer
  • Good Wives? - Margaret Forster
  • Miss Linsey and Pa - Stella Gibbons

  • A book with a “body part” in its title.

  • The Eaten Heart - Giovanni Boccaccio
  • By The Pricking of My Thumbs - Agatha Christie
  • The Heel of Achilles - EM Delafield

  • A book with a “building” in its title.

  • The Orchid House - Phyllis Shand Allfrey
  • Hotel du Lac - Anita Brookner
  • The House of Dolls - Barbara Comyns

  • A book with a “medical condition” in its title.

  • The Blind Assassin - Margaret Atwood
  • I don't think I have any others for this category... I don't own Love in a Time of Cholera... does 'Death' count as a "medical condition"...?

    Even if you don't intend to carry out the challenge, have a think of books on your shelves which might slot in... we'll see next year how many of these I've read.

    5 comments:

    1. One of the joys for me of joining a challenge is deciding which books to choose. The idea that I can change my mind and read other books makes it OK because I know from other challenges that feeling I have to read a book is enough to make me not want to read it.

      I like your list and I'm looking forward to your reviews - The Blind Assassin is one of my favourite Atwood books.

      Margaret (BooksPlease)

      ReplyDelete
    2. I'm not joining this challenge as I'm committed to too many things already, but it looks fun drawing up the list!

      ReplyDelete
    3. I participated in this last year as well and had a blast!

      ReplyDelete
    4. That's a great idea for a reading plan. Some element of randomness is essential for any good plan, I think. Otherwise it looks like you're the sort of person who makes 'To Do' lists.
      I recommend Blind Assassin and Hotel Du Lac off your list.

      ReplyDelete
    5. I did this challenge last year and really loved it because of how arbitrary it really was! I had lots of fun and discovered books I wouldn't have otherwise -- always a good thing for a challenge to provide.

      ReplyDelete

    I've now moved to www.stuckinabook.com, and all my old posts are over there too - do come and say hello :)

    I probably won't see your comment here, I'm afraid, but all my archive posts can also be found at www.stuckinabook.com.