Tuesday 5 August 2008

Last Days of Regency

I'm in the final throes of packing, and tomorrow I shall be living in Marlborough Road, Oxford, rather than Regent Street, Oxford. Last time I moved, I didn't have the internet for a few weeks - I do hope the same won't be true this time, but I thought I'd write and warn you all that any silence is probably involuntary.

This photo might be horribly familiar to those of you who have moved house recently. I've only been here a year, and have accumulated an enormous amount of rubbish. Having 'almost finished' packing yesterday, I filled three boxes tonight with what can only be described as 'assorted tat'. How does it happen? Can't imagine. Oddly enough, when we moved from Worcestershire to Somerset in 2005 (my only major move, since I was shipped off to friends for the 1992 move from Merseyside to Worcestershire) it didn't seem to take too long or reveal too much unwanted junk. Curious.

What am I up to over the next week or so? This weekend I'm off to London - that was quite a last minute decision, as I have been invited to my friend's 'stag party'. I wish there were a less repellent term for that... Marital Preparation Celebration, perhaps. The guy in question is a Christian, as is his brother who is organising it, so I have no qualms on the ethical front - but I don't really know what to expect. We'll see. On more familiar ground, I shall be spending the following week attending Book Groups - well, two of 'em. My Cousin Rachel by Daphne du Maurier, and To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee. The Carbon Copy has been asking me to read the latter ever since he read it at school, and I have been meaning to. So far, wonderful (about 100 pages in) and unmistakably Southern American. Something in the style and characterisation, more than the topics or dialect. I'll report back on those two in further detail in the future, no doubt, and haven't forgotten that I owe you a review of The Brontes Went To Woolworths...

Adieu, hopefully not for long!

8 comments:

  1. "Oddly enough, when we moved from Worcestershire to Somerset in 2005 (my only major move...) it didn't seem to take too long or reveal too much unwanted junk. Curious."

    And, you can thank OVW for that, I'm sure. She doesn't strike me as someone who accumulates as much clutter around her as I do.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck on the move--I do dread moving house--I couldn't imagine it now as I've accumulated far too much stuff. I read To Kill a Mockingbird just a couple of years ago (I had put it off for ages knowing what Southern Lit can be like), but I Loved it. Looking forward to hearing what you think. And I really would like to reread My Cousin Rachel. Have fun in London--that actually sounds like a nice break, party and all!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Junk breeds - of this I'm sure. When I packed everything up to come back from Norwich (just over a year ago now) I'm certain that every time I left the room, things would spring up out of nowhere, so that when I came back, it would look like I'd hardly packed a thing. I was fairly certain I'd have to get the train home, not being able to fit in Dad's car!
    Hope the move goes well :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Moving is a lot of work but it forces you to go through your stuff and it's amazing what can turn up.

    To Kill a Mockingbird has been my favorite book for over 40 years! I even teach it to my tenth-graders and haven't gotten sick of it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with the move! (And the stag party.)
    To Kill a Mockingbird is one of my all-time favorites. Look forward to hearing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A "stag" party ? Does it have anything to do with the animal ? Is it a bachelor party or more like an engagement party ?
    It certainly sounds intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Simon, I do hate moving and wish you luck with it all. I think To Kill a Mockingbird is required reading over here...my husband somehow was passed by on that front and recently enjoyed this American classic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck with the move Simon.

    I read To Kill a Mockingbird in year ten and I loved it. I was definitely my favourite assigned reading task.

    If you like the book you should watch the movie. The music from the opening sequence is divine. Oh, I have to go and put my CD on now and listen to it:)

    ReplyDelete

I've now moved to www.stuckinabook.com, and all my old posts are over there too - do come and say hello :)

I probably won't see your comment here, I'm afraid, but all my archive posts can also be found at www.stuckinabook.com.